Monday 28 April 2008

Put the gun down

Like I've mentioned, I consider doing mock advertisements for imaginary products a good exercise. It flexes my creative muscle and allows me to explore new options and techniques, especially for photoshop where there are more than one way of doing things.

This ad is for a hypothetical computer help service. The concept is someone holding a gun to the computer in frustration. I know I've felt this way before and I know you have to. In fact, I remember reading an article on Times Magazine, according to which the most used target in shooting ranges is personal computers. So, the concept behind this is that you don't have to resort to putting a 9mm through your Mac Book because it crashed on you (not yet anyway). Just check out the website.

I think it's interesting that I've decided to use a lot of noise and grain on this image. I don't really know where that idea came from, but it makes the image more interesting. Considering there is a gun in there and the composition suggests a story, I think I was subconsciously going after the Lethal Weapon style posters of the early 90s (i.e., really gritty, lots of intentional grain).

So, there you go :)

No comments: